What does a Computer Game System Require?
Every system that exists on this planet needs a requirement. No matter how many or how big the requirement is, it is essential to comply with the requirements to full realize its potential or to just simply make it work. In science, a system may require any factor affecting it. For example, for a plant to complete its photosynthesis, it must collect carbon dioxide from its surrounding.
This idea is also true in computer gaming. In video games, the peripherals or the devices that you are going to use must meet the requirements set by the game. These requirements are primarily on the capacity of your device; say a console, to perform tasks and to read the game set for by the programmer.
Compatibility also has something to do with computer requirements. The idea behind this is the simple fact that a game can be played with compatible device which can play perfectly the said software. For instance, the video resolution of a program may differ according to the monitor that a gamer may use. With requirements, the user may know which monitor can possibly display good video.
Why set a minimum requirement for a certain console in line with the game? All game programs are innovated in the highest technology environments. When they are incompatible with the hardware devices, chances are that the operation of such game may be greatly affected. These minimum requirements are neither for the game producer nor for the console maker. These are actually for the consumer, in the case of computer video game, for the gamer to have the best possible output from a combination of right game the right system requirement.
Requirements are actually computer specifications that each device must possess. Basically, each game may require certain specifications to the device they must be played with. The game may require the following from the computer:
• Processor’s Speed – the speed for the processor is one of the crucial system requirements a certain game may ask your computer to possess. This said speed will determine how fast your computer will act or execute a decision. Since, games are all executable programs, speed of the processor is very important. Processor speed has a unit of megahertz (MHz) and gigahertz (GHz). The unit megahertz are smaller unit than gigahertz. More precisely, a gigahertz is equal to a thousand megahertz. High-speed processors can run any game equal to its speed and lower but slower processors may not run games with higher speed requirements.
• Random Access Memory – this is commonly known as the internal memory or plainly memory of the computer. This memory helps store some data immediately needed by the processor. Most of the computer machines available in the market has preset RAM equivalent to 64MB. Most games may require RAM equal to this. However, there are game programs that require higher RAM like 126MB. This is not something to worry about because RAM can be upgraded with higher memory capacity.
• VRAM – this stands for Video Read Access Memory. The ability of your computer to display good resolution games depends on the VRAM. This memory works with the video card. Video cards are like processors however it is only focused on feeding the monitor with visual commands. The VRAM is a temporary memory that saves all graphical information that will be later on fed to the video card and the processor.
• Disc Capacity – refers to the capacity of the hard drive to store files and information. Disc space is also measured and uses the unit megabytes (MB) just like the VRAM and the RAM. The higher the disc space, the more games that you can store and play in your computer. Like the RAM, disc memory capacity may also be upgraded. One can even have higher memory that can be measured in gigabyte (GB).
• CD-ROM drive speed – not all the games that are installed in your pc may no longer require a disc. Most game companies upgrade computer game programs using discs. This are later added in the game specs by means of reinstalling it in the computer. The faster the CD-ROM is the faster the installation will be. Every now and then, you will use the CD-ROM not just in playing games but also in ensuring copyright protection and the like. Just like other requirements, the CD-ROM speed can perform its duty well to game programs that has equal speed requirement or slower.